Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Studying Culture

This, is quite possibly what I would like to do with the rest of my life. I'm constantly being asked, what are you majoring in? Liberal Studies. What are you going to do with that? Until now, I didn't really have a good answer. It might take a bit more time in grad school, but I want to study how people live, what they do, why they live a certain way. Perhaps this comes from the realization of the significance of our connections with those around us.

Our relationships with other people are all we really have that matter. Remember when everyone put quotes in their instant messaging buddy info? I found this one in middle school, and it has always stuck with me. "What does it matter anyways? We only really live in each others hearts." I don't know where this quote is from, but I spent a long time thinking about it before I could begin to understand it. What is more important than our relationships? Besides things involved with religion, I can't really think of anything. This is why I want to learn about how other people relate to each other in new (to me) and different ways.

The first chapter of The Cultural Experience opened my eyes to the world of anthropology and ethnography. I am so excited to use new tools to learn about how to study culture!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers