Thursday, March 11, 2010

Finding my Focus

I expected to go into a house of 40 girls and find tons of drama. From my experiences in high school, I know that when you get any number of girls together for a certain amount of time, in a specific place, stuff happens. This was probably my strongest pre-ob bias. It was also the most untrue characteristic of the women of AXO. From what I could tell in the short time I was there, there are no incongruities, contradictions, or controversies. I tried very hard to find such things. I dug as deep as I could in my interviews, but nothing came up. The closest thing I could find was a few rivalries with other sororities. I don't have some big, exciting piece of dirt. While this may seem like an inconvenience, I think it actually provides the heart of my paper. This amazing group of women defy the drama-odds. There are bound to be little juicy stories here and there, but they are so inconsequential compared to what the group is as a whole, that I could not discover them. Given more time, perhaps, but "it is what it is," as Ms. Mork would say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers