Sunday, March 21, 2010

"I Want to be Where Your Barefoot Walks"

I want to be where your bare foot walks;
I want to be where your bare foot walks,
Because maybe before you step you'll look at the ground.
I want that blessing.
I open and fill; I fill with love and all other objects evaporate.
All the learning in books stays put on the shelf.
Poetry, the dear words, images of song,
Comes down over me like water.

This is how I would die;
Into the love I have for you; the love I have for you.

As pieces of cloud dissolve in sunlight
This is how I would die
Into the love I have for you

-Rumi

Thanks to Jessica for reminding me to do this assignment and for letting me copy-paste this poem into my post.

Our weekend assignment for choir is to write a one-page (single space-hah!) reaction on what this poem means to us. Apparently, as a high school choir, we don't spend enough time on the lyrics of the songs we sing. Therefore, our director would like to hear our 16-18 year old thoughts on love. Maybe he's going through a crisis or something, and would like to subject himself to 80 pages of that. Yes, I am being a little bit harsh on us high schoolers; of course we have important, meaningful things to say about love. Knowing our choir, we will probably come up with amazing things to write about. It's really not that bad of an assignment. I'm just annoyed that we have to do it, because I am sick of writing (me saying this, as I sit here writing, oh the irony). I think I'm going to go to bed before I talk/write myself into an atrocious mood.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I was trying to find the lyrics to this song I sang in choir a while ago. From the looks of your post probably with the same choir...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bit late to the party, but I just came across your blog post while searching for the text Childs used for this composition. Such a wonderful song! By now I hope you've reflected on the assignment and realize that young singers often do not connect with the texts of the songs they sing as they tend to sing the words and not the meaning. By giving such assignments, directors force us to evaluate our emotions and by extension, make personal connections to the texts. This deeper understanding and connection creates a more meaningful experience for the singer and a more beautiful performance for the audience!

    ReplyDelete

Followers